The Net is full of such manuals, and I have decided to publish my own “how-to” instruction.
Such Alcohol Stove will come in handy during trips, when wood for a fire cannot always be found. It may even be useful at home.
1. To create a handmade Stove we will need two beer or soda cans.
2. After the contents is removed, you can start making the stove. We won’t need the entire cans – only buttons are required. First, you should take abrasive paper and remove the coloring from the exterior (not obligatory).
Color should be removed at the height of 4 cm from the bottom.
3. Draw a line at 3.5 cm from the bottom on every can, and cut them off with the help of a knife or scissors. Polish the edges with a rasp to prevent cutting your fingers.
4. Make 5 openings in the centre of one bottom to provide the access for oxygen and inject the alcohol.
5. Fill the second bottom with filler (cotton) and join the two parts inserting one into another.
6. Take a thin stab awl and make nozzles around the bottom (16-20 holes).
7. Inject 50 ml of alcohol through the 5 holes on the top (any alcohol 85% or more can be used, for instance, industrial methyl alcohol).
8. To make a stand for houseware, take a thick wire and bend it.
9. Put a coin on the top so that fire did not get through the holes on the centre.
10. To start fire in the Pocket Alcohol Stove, it should be heated up by a cigarette lighter so that the gas started evaporating. As the burner becomes hotter, the flame gets bigger.
Here we should note some crucial things:
a) The burner should be heated strongly enough, or it will take too much effort for you to make it burn!
b) If it still won’t burn, try expanding the diameter or openings (but not too much).
Here it is:
11. 50-75 grams of alcohol are enough to heat up 1.5 liters of water within 15-20 minutes. I have decided not to try doing that and fried eggs instead – it was high time for lunch:
12. After the eggs were ready, the ultralight bikepacking stoves kept burning pretty strongly:
That’s why I decided to boil water in my camp kettle so that the fire did not go to waste:
But even when water boiled, the heater still kept burning:
All in all, the Ultra-Efficient DIY Stove has been sustaining flame for 35 minutes.
Fire is stiffed by covering the Alcohol Stove by a dish or some other container. Otherwise, the fire will finish itself when it runs out of alcohol.